The items in the DCA Library of books / DVD’s are available for loan by any DCA Member free of charge. To borrow one email your requirements to the secretary via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will attempt to bring it along to the next practice / event. Also below are a few online guides written by the DCA.
ONLINE GUIDES WRITTEN BY THE DCA
LEARNING / METHODS BOOKS:
- Bell Handling DVD (Learning The Ropes)
- Learning Methods by Michael J de C Henshaw (Central Council)
The Blue Line, place bells, method structure and tricks of the trade.
- The Learning Curve Volume 1 1999-2001 by John Harrison
Based on a series of Ringing World Features on a wide range of topics from Raising and Lowering to Double Handed ringing!
- The Learning Curve Volume 2 2002-2003 by John Harrison
Based on a series of Ringing World Features on a wide range of topics from chiming, coils, leading and speed!
- The Learning Curve Volume 3 2004-2005 by John Harrison
Based on a series of Ringing World Features on a wide range of topics from placing your bell accurately, learning rhythm and good rope technique!
- The Ringers Handbook by ES & M Powell (1995 Edition)
Instruction in Grandshire, Stedman, Plain Bob & Kent Treble Bob
- Triples and Major for Beginners by William Butler
From Plain Bob through to Erin Triples.
- Doubles and Minor for Beginners by William Butler (Central Council)
From Plain Bob through to Oxford Treble Bob.
- From Rounds to Ropesight by Stuart I Bamforth
Book and DVD
- Discover Bell Ringing by ART
Information for New Ringers
- Kaledoscope Ringing by Gordon I Lucus
Alternatives to call changes
- Ringing Circles: A guide to learning methods by Chris Adams
Methods and variations doubles, triples and minor
CONDUCTING AND MORE ADVANCED METHODS BOOKS:
- Criblines 1 by DJ Marshall & AM Popplewell
41 regular surprise minor methods
- Criblines 2 by DJ Marshall & AM Popplewell
60 popular surprise major methods
- Easily Remembered Service Touches
Selection of touches a conductor could use for service ringing. Plain Bob – Stedman, Doubles – Maximus.
- Method 300 by John Longridge and Ian Campbell
A conveniently tabulated reference book in the main covering Surprise or Spliced methods
- Quarter 500 compiled by John Longridge
A compilation of compositions for conducting from Doubles to Maximus, Spliced doubles and major.
- Standard 70 compiled by John Longridge
Conducting for practices, quarter peals and peals from Doubles to Maximus.
- Teacher’s Guide to Learning The Ropes by Pip Penney
ART guide to the Learning the Ropes programme.
- Teaching Tips by Pip Penney
Teaching skills from bell handling to basic touches.
TOWER MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE BOOKS:
- A Schedule of Regular Maintenance by Bernard J Stone
Guide to maintaining the bells
- Getting it Right: Guidance for Officers of Ringing Societies by Heather Peachey
From jobs that need doing to business meetings, risk assessment and insurance re 2005.
- Splicing Bell Ropes Illustrated by Frank Beech
As the title says! Very clear illustrations for those wanting to learn.
- The Tower Handbook by John Harrison
Useful reference from tower organisation to teaching and running a tower ideas.
- Tower Captain’s Handbook by David E. Parsons
From the size of the band, to recruiting, running a practice and public relations.